Tuesday, April 3, 2012

How to be a Good Parent Tuesdays 001

Because I'm an on-again, off-again blogger, I've decided to set a goal for myself of at least two posts a week, one on Tuesdays and one on Thursdays. Today, I want to kick off my "How to be a Good Parent Tuesdays" post series,a follow up to my "How NOT to be a Good Parent Thursdays" post. Since being a parent takes up every ounce of my energy these days, I suppose I should write about it, right? So, here goes. Some are taken from my own experience as a parent, and some from my own experience of being parented. Either way, here's How to be a Good Parent: 001.

1. Include your daughter in your school's first school-wide musical since the 1960s. 

Since directing the musical is a great way to NOT be a good parent, I suppose that including Olivia in the production (Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella)  is a tiny way to make up for all the time I'm missing at home. Olivia is playing "Little Girl" in the town scene and has the line: "And me I'm in the second grade" as her solo line, and several others sung in chorus with the five other little girls in the scene. She will also be guest-starring as a mouse in the magical transformation scene. 

Olivia is super excited about the play, and she wants to do very well in it. She looks darling in her little dress and (if I can be this bold) is absolutely adored by the cast. What a blessed father I am. 

While many have suggested that Erilyn would make an adorable mouse as well, I am not sure that she is up to the dancing quite yet. So far her dancing consists almost entirely of shaking and bouncing. At least she has rhythm! 

2. Painstakingly reteach your daughter the appropriate way to play with blocks. 

After the "Block Blockers" fiasco of last week's Wiggles and Giggles, I have worked carefully with Erilyn to teach her that "Block Blockers" is not the best game to play. While the look on her face is disheartening (Daddy...why is this wrong?) I believe that this will make her a better toddler as a whole. Coming from a father who has a deep passion for LEGO building blocks, I assumed she would pick up the creative building habits of blocks rather innately or through osmosis. So far she just seems confused, but Michelle has informed me that I am taking her to Wiggles and Giggles next week (during Spring Break), so I have about half a week before I have to rewire her way of playing blocks. 

3. Smile when the other parent in your home shows you "really interesting poop" that your baby just dropped in the toilet. 

Well, here's to learning and bettering yourself as a parent. Learn what not to do on Thursdays, and check back here next Tuesday as we painstakingly work together to be better parents and better spouses. Happy Easter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment